DINNERS page 40
KC Pride Steaks page 16
Sweets In Season page 28
Naturally 0g sugar* with no artificial sweeteners
*Not a low calorie food. ©2021 Chobani, LLC.
Savor the Summer
No year has two summers, so we hope you’re seizing every moment. Whether that’s taking a nature walk,
going for a dip in the pool, or sitting around the table for family dinner – we encourage you to savor each
Are the midsummer dinner doldrums getting to you? We have some fresh ideas to brighten up your table.
From greeny goodness to mouth-watering sliders, we’ve got your Weeknight Dinners covered. When the
summer heat starts feeling like too much, keep your house cool by leaving the oven off and turning the
grill on! Our sizzlin’ KC Pride Steaks are a summer must and sure to be crowd pleasers. Or break out some
bakery fresh hot dog buns to accompany delicious Mexican Street Corn Brats. After, take advantage of all the
Sweets In Season using melons, peaches, and berries! Your local Price Chopper Produce section is stocked
with the freshest in-season fruits.
Prepare for back to school season with our tasty and fun After School Snacks – satisfy those afternoon
cravings while providing some extra nutrition. The whole family will be zooming to the fridge for adorable
Mini Pepper Race Cars! Or satisfy that sweet tooth with Frozen Banana Cream with Fresh Berries.
Whether you’re enjoying Chopper Chicken, a freshly prepared deli tray, or one of the recipes here, we hope
you and your family enjoy a summer of togetherness highlighted with tasty food.
After School Snacks
KC Pride Steaks
Cream with Fresh
Mini Pepper Race
Jerk Sirloin Steak
Steak Cobb Salad
Sheet Tray Chile-
Lime Steak Fajitas
Sweets In Season
on a Stick
on a Stick
Caesar Salad with
Cheese & Tomato
We want to see what you create! Tag us on
Instagram using #mypricechopper and let
us know which recipes you tried.
only DAISY ®
Cottage Cheese will do.
With a uniquely fresh, creamy taste, and protein-packed, discover why Daisy is America’s #1 cottage cheese.
Discover why only Daisy Cottage Cheese will do at daisybrand.com/cottage-cheese.
*SEE NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION ON PACKAGE FOR DETAILS.
40% Vegetable Oil Spray. Up to 4 sprays contributes insignificant amounts of calories and fat.
6 sprays contribute 5 calories, 0.5 g fat, and 15 mg sodium.
Simply Orange ®
Honestly Simple ®
©2018 Simply Orange Juice Company.
6 | after school snacks | SUMMER 2021
While we are soaking up every moment of summer, back to school season is still right around the corner.
Back to school time means back to snack time, so we’ve come up with a variety of delicious and nutritious snacks
sure to appease kids and grown-ups alike.
SUMMER 2021 | after school snacks | 7
CHICKEN TACO PINWHEEL BOX
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
• ¼ cup cream cheese, softened
• ¼ cup refrigerated prepared
• ¼ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
• 2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
• 2 tsp taco seasoning
• 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas
• 1 cup thinly sliced romaine lettuce
• 4 (3-compartment) food storage
• 1 large Honeycrisp apple, cored and
• ¼ cup sunflower seed butter
1. In large bowl, stir onions, chicken, cream cheese, guacamole, Mexican cheese, pepper, and
seasoning. Spread tortillas with onion mixture; top with lettuce and roll up tightly to enclose
filling. Tightly wrap tortilla rolls with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Remove plastic wrap from tortilla rolls; cut each roll crosswise into 1¼-inch-thick slices.
Makes about 24 pinwheels.
3. Fill containers by dividing pinwheels into 1 compartment, apple slices into 1 compartment,
and sunflower seed butter into remaining compartment; cover with lids and refrigerate up
to 3 days.
8 | after school snacks | SUMMER 2021
• Nonstick baking spray
• 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 large ripe banana, mashed
• ¾ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
• ¼ cup plain or cinnamon applesauce
• ¼ cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
• 3 tbsp honey
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• ¾ tsp baking powder
• ¾ tsp vanilla extract
• 1/8 tsp salt
• Toppings: almond or peanut butter; blueberries, chopped
apples, pomegranate seeds, or raspberries; dark chocolate;
dried apricots, mangoes, or strawberries; cashews, pecan
pieces, or sliced almonds; toasted coconut (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray mini muffin tin with baking spray.
In large skillet, toast oats over medium heat 8 minutes or until
golden brown, stirring occasionally.
2. In large bowl, whisk egg; whisk in banana, yogurt, applesauce,
milk, honey, cinnamon, baking powder, vanilla extract, and salt
until combined. Fold oats into egg mixture until combined.
3. Evenly divide oatmeal mixture into prepared cups, filling ¾ full;
add toppings, if desired. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick
inserted in center of muffins comes out clean. Cover and
refrigerate leftovers up to 2 days.
• 2 medium bananas
• 2 tbsp nonfat milk
• 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
• 2 tbsp chopped, unsalted dry roasted peanuts or sunflower seeds
• ¾ cup fresh raspberries
• ½ cup fresh blueberries
1. Line large rimmed baking pan with parchment paper. Peel and slice
bananas; place on prepared pan and freeze 2 hours.
2. In food processor, pulse frozen banana slices until they resemble coarse
crumbs; process until smooth. Add milk and nutmeg; process until
3. Transfer banana mixture to medium bowl; stir in peanuts. Divide mixture
into 4 bowls; evenly sprinkle with raspberries and blueberries. Makes
about 2½ cups.
• ½ cup refrigerated prepared hummus
• 6 mini sweet peppers, tops trimmed and
• 24 toothpicks
• 3 mini cucumbers, each cut crosswise into 16
• 12 black olive slices
• 12 grape tomatoes
SUMMER 2021 | after school snacks | 9
1. Transfer hummus to small zip-top plastic bag
and snip bottom corner with kitchen scissors; fill
pepper halves with hummus.
2. Using 2 toothpicks, attach 4 cucumber slices to
each pepper half to make “wheels;” place 1 olive
slice and 1 tomato in each pepper half to make
“steering wheel” and “driver.” Makes 12 cars.
BRING THE FLAVOR.
BRING THE FUN.
©2018 Tyson Foods, Inc.
SWING BY THE
& GRILL UP A “LATE SUMMER DOG”
BOX TOPS PRODUCTS
THE LOCKER COMBO
FROM ON PACK BY 11/30/2021
A CHANCE AT REWARDS FOR YOU
OR BONUS BOX TOPS FOR SCHOOLS*
*MUST BE A BTFE REGISTERED SCHOOL
Can Help Lower Cholesterol* as part of a heart healthy diet.
*Three grams of soluble fiber daily from whole grain oat foods, like Honey Nut Cheerios cereal, in a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease. Honey Nut Cheerios cereal provides .75 grams per serving.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., 18 years and older. Promotion begins on 5/17/2021 at 12 PM ET and ends on 11/30/2021 at 11:59 PM ET. Must download the free Box Tops app
and be a Box Tops member with an eligible, enrolled school to redeem prizes. Standard data rates may apply. One Box Top is worth 10 cents for your school. For Official Rules, alternate method of entry, prize descriptions, BTFE Program and App Terms, and odds disclosure, visit btfe.com/unlock. Sponsor: General Mills Sales, Inc.
One General Mills Boulevard, Minneapolis, MN 55440.
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
© General Mills
Rich & Creamy Taste
©2021 Unilever FOO21003
WE’RE ON THE SIDE OF FOOD
Farmers Market Cheeseboard
Wisconsin cherry cheddar cheese
Wisconsin mild or aged cheddar
Wisconsin farmers cheese
Wisconsin vegetable monterey
Medium cucumbers, quartered
and cut into 2-inch pieces
Grilled fresh peaches, sliced
Toasted French bread baguette
slices or prepared crostini
Tomato jam or hot pepper jelly
Fresh basil leaves
Thinly sliced salami
Thinly sliced Finocchio (fennel)
Fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
Arrange the cheddars, farmers cheese and
vegetable jack on a serving board. Fill in board
with cucumbers, cherries, peaches, baguette,
tomato jam, basil, salami, breadsticks and peas.
Any flavor of Wisconsin cheddar, farmers
cheese or monterey jack can be used.
©2020 Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
From simple summer meals to desserts for your sweet tooth,
quality brands make better summer moments.
Find more quick, simple treats
PAM ® No-Stick Cooking
Spray 5–6 oz.
Hebrew National ®
Beef Franks 10.3 oz.
Gulden’s ® Spicy Brown
Mustard 12 oz.
Hunt’s ® Ketchup 20 oz.
Berry Banana Split
½ banana, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
⁄3 cup sliced fresh strawberries
¼ cup Reddi-wip ® Original Dairy Whipped Topping
⁄8 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Van Camp’s ®
Pork and Beans 15 oz.
Snack Pack ® Pudding 4-pack
1. Place banana pieces in bottom of serving dish; place half of sliced strawberries around banana.
2. Top fruit with two servings (¼ cup) Reddi-wip ® and remaining strawberries.
3. Garnish by dusting cocoa powder through a fine sieve onto banana split. Serve immediately.
©2021 Conagra Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Reddi-wip ® 6.5 oz.
16 | kc pride steaks | SUMMER 2021
KC PRIDE STEAKS
Enjoy a traditionally prepared steak or try one of our recipes using KC Pride Steak in new,
creative ways. No matter how you like your steak, Price Chopper is proud to offer fresh,
200%-guaranteed beef, cut by expert meat cutters.
SUMMER 2021 | kc pride steaks | 17
• 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
• 2 tbsp jerk seasoning
• 1 boneless top sirloin or flat iron steak (about 1¼ pounds)
• ½ medium red bell pepper, sliced
• ¼ small red onion, sliced
• 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
• ¾ tsp fresh ground black pepper
• ¼ tsp finely chopped habanero chile pepper
• Cilantro sprigs for garnish, optional
1. In small bowl, stir 2 tbsp lime juice, oil, and jerk seasoning.
Place steak in large zip-top plastic bag; pour lime juice
mixture into bag. Seal bag, pressing out excess air;
refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
2. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high
heat. In medium bowl, toss bell pepper, onion, pineapple,
black pepper, habanero, and remaining 1 tbsp lime juice
3. Place steak on hot grill rack; cook 8 minutes or until
outside is browned, turning once. Reduce heat to medium;
cook steak 8 minutes longer or until internal temperature
reaches 140° for medium-rare. Transfer steak to cutting
board; loosely cover with aluminum foil and let stand
5 minutes. (Internal temperature will rise 5 to 10° upon
4. To serve, thinly slice steak across the grain; serve with
Pineapple-Pepper Salad garnished with cilantro, if desired.
NOTE One teaspoon finely chopped jalapeño pepper can be
substituted for the habanero chile pepper.
to kick up the taste
©2021 Campbell Soup Company
SUMMER 2021 | kc pride steaks | 19
• 1¼ pounds flank steak or boneless sirloin steak
• 1 cup red wine vinaigrette
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
• 2 (9-ounce) bags hearts of romaine
• 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
and coarsely chopped
• 1 (7.5-ounce) jar fire-roasted red peppers, drained
• 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
• 1 (4-ounce) package Gorgonzola or blue cheese
• 2 refrigerated hard-cooked peeled eggs, chopped
• 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
• ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
• 1 top round London broil (about 2 pounds)
• ½ tsp kosher salt
• ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
• 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed
• 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 1 tbsp lime zest
• 2 (10-ounce) loaves bakery fresh French baguette, cut
horizontally in half
• ½ cup creamy chipotle ranch dip
• 3 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
• 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
• 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
• 3 cups cilantro sprigs
1. Place steak in large zip-top plastic bag; pour ½ cup
vinaigrette over steaks. Seal bag, pressing out excess
air; massage steak in bag. Refrigerate at least 2 hours
or up to overnight to marinate.
2. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over mediumhigh
heat. Remove steak from marinade; discard
marinade. Season steak with salt and pepper. Place
steak on hot grill rack; cover and cook 12 minutes or
until internal temperature reaches 135° for mediumrare,
turning once. Transfer steak to cutting board;
loosely tent with aluminum foil and let stand 5
minutes. (Internal temperature will rise to 145° upon
standing.) Thinly slice steak across the grain.
3. Divide romaine over 4 plates; top with steak and
remaining ingredients. Serve with remaining ½ cup
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.
Season London broil with salt and pepper. Place London broil
on hot grill rack; cover and cook 20 minutes or until internal
temperature reaches 140° for medium-rare, turning once.
Transfer London broil to cutting board and loosely cover with
foil; let stand 5 minutes before slicing. (Internal temperature of
steak will rise 5 to 10° upon standing.)
2. In small bowl, whisk avocados, lime juice, and lime zest until
3. Spread top cut sides of bread with dip; spread bottom sides
with avocado mixture. Thinly slice steak across the grain; fill
bread with steak, tomatoes, jalapeños, onion, and cilantro. Cut
each sandwich crosswise into quarters.
Make sure to stock up on Margarita's Amigos salsas to perfectly complement your
summer gathering meals and easy weeknight dinners. Available in mild, medium, hot,
chunky and restaurant style, there is a Margarita's Amigos salsa for everyone!
Find our full line of Restaurant and Chunky Style Salsa, flavorful
Spice Packs and fresh Cheese Dips at your local store.
SUMMER 2021 | kc pride steaks | 21
PREP IN ADVANCE
When hosting an outdoor cookout, prep as
much as you can in advance. Wash and cut
fresh fruits and vegetables, marinate beef and
poultry, and cook whole grains a day or two
ahead of time.
GRILL VEGGIES LIKE A PRO
While grilled veggies exhibit tender-crisp
textures and deliciously smoky flavors, they
require a few tips and tricks to cook just right.
Choose varieties that can stand up to the heat of
the grill, such as zucchini, potatoes, asparagus,
broccoli, and cauliflower. Brush veggies with
olive oil or marinate before grilling to add flavor
and prevent sticking. Vegetables also vary in
how long they take to cook on the grill. Try
searing over high heat, then placing away from
the heat source to finish cooking.
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• ¼ cup canola oil
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp salt
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 1¼ pounds boneless top round
steaks, thinly sliced
• 3 medium green, red and/or
yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
• 1 medium yellow onion, thinly
• 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
• Toppings: pico de gallo,
guacamole, sour cream, and/
or lime wedges for garnish
1. In small bowl, whisk garlic, oil, cumin, salt, and black pepper; reserve
half the oil mixture in large bowl, cover and refrigerate. Whisk lime juice,
cilantro, pepper flakes, and sugar into remaining oil mixture; add steaks
and lime juice mixture to large zip-top plastic bag. Seal bag, pressing
out excess air; refrigerate at least 2 or up to 8 hours.
2. Position 2 oven racks to center and next lower positions; preheat oven
to 475°. Place rimmed baking pan on center rack; preheat 10 minutes.
3. Add bell peppers and onion to reserved oil mixture and toss; spread on
hot pan and roast 5 minutes.
4. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Push pepper-onion
mixture to 1 side of pan; place steaks on opposite side. Wrap tortillas in
5. Roast steaks and vegetables on center rack and tortillas on lower rack
5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and internal temperature of
steaks reaches 140° for medium-rare; let stand 5 minutes. (Internal
temperature will rise 5 to 10° upon standing.) Serve steaks and pepperonion
mixture with tortillas and toppings, if desired.
SERVE CONDIMENTS IN
To enjoy condiments during picnics or
barbeques without carting individual bottles,
pour different sauces and toppings into
separate muffin compartments. Set a serving
spoon in each vessel, and cover with plastic
wrap or aluminum foil between uses.
SERVE SAFE FOOD
Keep food at the proper temperature to prevent
the growth of food-borne bacteria. The key is
to never let food remain in the “danger zone,”
between 40° and 140°, for more than two hours,
or one hour if outdoor temperatures are above
90°F. Always remember to thoroughly clean and
sanitize hands, surfaces and utensils, too.
MAKE CREATIVE, DUAL-
PURPOSE ICE PACKS
Instead of adding extra components to your
already-packed cooler, freeze a few water
bottles ahead of time, and use them as ice
packs to keep your food cold. Remove paper
labels on bottles and be sure lids are tightly
secured before freezing. When the bottles melt
back into water, enjoy an ice-cold beverage to
28 | sweets in season | SUMMER 2021
It’s no secret that summer
brings the best fruits and
veggies of the year! We’re
celebrating all this ripe
produce by making some
SUMMER 2021 | sweets in season | 29
• 2 cups chopped watermelon, plus 1 cup finely
• ¾ cup blueberries
• 1½ tbsp granulated sugar
• 1½ tsp fresh lemon juice
1. In small bowl, toss 1 cup finely chopped watermelon and
2. In blender or food processor with knife blade attached,
purée sugar, lemon juice, and remaining watermelon
3. Evenly divide watermelon-blueberry mixture into six
3-ounce ice pop molds; pour puréed watermelon into
molds. Freeze pops at least 8 hours or up to 1 week.
NOTE To easily unmold pops, run molds under warm water for
• Nonstick baking spray
• ¾ cup lightly packed brown sugar
• ½ cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• ¾ cup rolled oats
• ½ cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
• 1 large ripe mango, peeled and sliced
• 16 ounces fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 2-quart glass or ceramic
baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
2. In large bowl, whisk together ½ cup sugar, ½ cup flour,
cinnamon, and ginger; stir in oats. With fingertips or pastry
blender, work in butter until pea-sized crumbs form.
3. In medium bowl, toss mango, blueberries, and remaining
¼ cup sugar, and 2 tbsp flour. Spread blueberry mixture
evenly in prepared dish; sprinkle oat mixture evenly over
4. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until most berries burst, sides are
bubbling and top is golden brown; loosely cover with foil
if top is browning too quickly. Let stand 10 minutes before
NOTE Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
SUMMER 2021 | sweets in season | 31
• 1¾ cups hulled and quartered
• 2 tsp granulated sugar
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• 3 cups strawberry ice cream
• 1 cup whole milk
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
• ½ cup whipped topping
• 1 sweet shortcake biscuit, cut into
1. In medium bowl, toss 1½ cups strawberries and sugar.
In large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; add
strawberry mixture and cook 5 minutes or until lightly
browned and tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from
heat; refrigerate 45 minutes. Makes about 1 cup.
2. In blender, purée ice cream, milk, and basil on high until
smooth. Makes about 4¼ cups.
3. Pour shake into 4 (12-ounce) glasses, filling halfway;
top with strawberry mixture, remaining shake, whipped
topping, biscuit, and remaining ¼ cup strawberries.
Carefully curated flavors crafted
to delight with
Want more info? Call 1-800-MY DAIRY or visit www.turkeyhill.com/new/triopolitan
©2018 TURKEY HILL DAIRY 02240DE18IP
WITH SHORTBREAD CRUMBLE
• ½ cup coarsely crushed shortbread
• 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 tbsp light brown sugar
• ¼ tsp ground cinnamon plus additional
for sprinkling (optional)
• 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small
• 6 large peaches, halved and pitted
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 3 cups vanilla ice cream
SUMMER 2021 | sweets in season | 33
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. In medium bowl, combine
shortbread crumbs, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. With fingers, cut butter into flour
mixture to coarse crumbs.
2. Brush cut sides of peaches with oil. Place peaches, cut side down, on hot grill rack; cover
and cook 7 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn peaches; spoon about 1 tbsp crumb
mixture into each peach half. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until grill marks appear.
3. Serve peaches with ice cream; sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
NOTES To coarsely crush cookies: Place cookies in large zip-top plastic bag; seal bag, pressing out
excess air. With rolling pin or smooth side of meat mallet, coarsely crush cookies.
To halve peaches: with paring knife, cut each peach around center seam, then twist halves in
opposite directions to separate.
© The Hershey Company © Mondelēz International group © 2021 Kraft Foods
©2021 Procter & Gamble
Make any summer cookout a family affair by pairing
your grilled favorites with this spectacular salsa from
family-owned Bush’s ® Beans and Red Gold ® .
©2021 Bush Brothers & Company. Red Gold is a registered trademark of Red Gold, LLC. Elwood IN.
BUSHBEANS.COM | REDGOLDTOMATOES.COM
GRILLED CORN SALSA
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
4 ears of corn, shucked
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 green bell pepper
½ can (28 oz) Bush’s ® Original Baked Beans
1 can (15 oz) Bush’s ® Seasoned Black Beans
1 can (14.5 oz) Red Gold ® Petite Diced Tomatoes
2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (leave in seeds
for spicier salsa)
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1. Set up well-oiled grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
2. Brush corn with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill corn until brown on all sides, 8-12 minutes, and transfer to cutting board to cool. Grill green peppers
until brown on all sides and transfer to cutting board.
4. Cut kernels from corn cobs and seed and dice green pepper. Place in large mixing bowl.
5. Add Bush’s ® Original Baked Beans, Bush’s ® Seasoned Black Beans, Red Gold ® Petite Diced Tomatoes,
scallions, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Stir to mix.
6. Serve next to your favorite summer meal.
40 | weeknight dinners | SUMMER 2021
Summertime and the cookin’ is easy. We’ve created
these easy and delicious meals that are sure to become
a staple in your rotation this season!
ON A STICK
PREP 25 min
GRILL 5 min
• 1¼ pounds ground chuck
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• ¾ tsp salt
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
• 4 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
• 2 tsp olive oil
• ¼ cup Caesar salad dressing
• 8 small slices tomato
• 4 leaves romaine lettuce, cut into small pieces
• 16 2-inch square slices Parmesan cheese
• 8 4-inch wooden picks (or 8-inch skewers cut in half)
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat; preheat oven to
400°. In medium bowl, gently mix ground chuck, parsley, salt, and pepper until
well blended but not overmixed. Form mixture into 8 mini patties.
2. Place burgers on hot grill rack; cover and cook 5 minutes or until internal
temperature of burgers reaches 160°, turning once.
3. Brush both sides of bread slices with oil; cut each into 4 squares. Place squares
in single layer on cookie sheet; bake 3 minutes or until toasted.
4. For each sandwich, spread 1 piece toast with 1½ tsp dressing; top with 1
tomato slice, 1 burger, 2 slices cheese, 3 pieces lettuce and 1 piece toast. Insert
1 skewer into center of sandwich.
5. Repeat to make 7 more sandwiches.
ON A STICK
PREP 35 min
BAKE 25 min
• 32 tater tots
• 16 slices bacon
• 8 6-inch wooden skewers
• 24 ¼-inch slices jalapeño pepper
• Nonstick cooking spray
• ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp pale ale
• ¾ cup (6 ounces) original Velveeta® cheese
• ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
• ½ tsp Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place tots in single layer on microwave-safe plate; cook
in microwave oven 30 seconds. Place bacon on microwave-safe plate in single
layers separated with 2 layers of paper towels; cover with paper towel and
cook in microwave oven 5 minutes or until partially cooked but still flexible.
2. Cut bacon slices crosswise in half. For each skewer, wrap each of 4 tots with 1
piece bacon; alternately skewer wrapped tots with 3 slices jalapeño, ending
with wrapped tot. Repeat to make 7 more skewers.
3. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Place skewers in single layer on
prepared cookie sheet; bake 18 minutes.
4. In small saucepot, heat pale ale over medium heat 3 minutes; add in cheese,
Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard. Whisk until cheese melts and sauce
is heated through, stirring frequently. Serve skewers drizzled with cheese
SUMMER 2021 | weeknight dinners | 41
Follow these suggestions to
create easy, flavorful meals while
saving valuable time, money,
COOK ONCE, EAT TWICE
Plan meals that will last longer and ease your
cooking tasks for the week. Cook proteins that
can easily transition into double-duty meals. For
example, put aside some cooked ground beef
from a chili recipe to make tacos throughout the
week, or make a large batch of rice or pasta for
several quick and easy dishes. You’ll save tons of
time by not having to cook from scratch twice.
FREEZE FOR LATER
Don’t think you’ll eat your large batches before
they spoil? No problem – freeze them! The
freezer is key for saving both the integrity of
your ingredients and time! Prep and freeze
elements of your favorite recipes or freeze the
entire dish. Simply thaw and reheat whatever
CHOOSE PASSIVE COOKING
Cooking appliances can help you prepare
flavorful meals more easily. Meals made in a
slow cooker, rice cooker, pressure cooker, or
air fryer are great for nights you want to set it
and forget about it. Take advantage of these
gadgets that do the heavy lifting plus alleviate
Slicing and dicing ingredients for meal prep is
time-consuming. Pick up ready-to-cook veggies
in the Produce Department at your local Price
Chopper – we have prewashed greens, prechopped
vegetable medleys, shaved Brussels
sprouts, and more time-saving shortcuts. Or,
rely on frozen fruit and vegetable varieties to
bring flavor, nutrition, and convenience to your
Take a vacation from your oven and stovetop by
creating easy no-cook meals. Rotisserie chicken
is an excellent ingredient to keep on hand, as
well as staples like olive oil, tomato sauce or
paste, canned beans or fish, bottled dressings,
spices, and seasonings. These essentials will
help you create delicious pantry-to-plate meals
that come together in a flash.
NOTE Serve tot skewers with a mixture of sour cream and green onions for dipping.
PREP 15 min
GRILL 10 min
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 2 cups packed chopped stemmed kale
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
• 8 large portobello mushroom caps
• 1 cup marinara sauce
• ¾ cup shredded low-moisture partskim
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling
over medium-high heat. Heat large
skillet over medium-high heat; spray
with cooking spray. Add kale; cook
2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add
garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring
constantly; remove from heat.
2. Spray both sides of mushrooms with
cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and
pepper. Place mushrooms, gill side
down, on hot grill rack; cover and cook
5 minutes. Turn mushrooms; top with
sauce, cheese, and kale mixture. Cover
and cook 5 minutes or until cheese
CRISPY KALE CAESAR
SALAD WITH ROASTED
• Nonstick cooking spray
• 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 3 cups loosely packed baby kale
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• ¼ tsp salt
• ¼ tsp ground black pepper
• 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
• 1 (9-ounce) package chopped hearts of romaine
• ¼ cup creamy Caesar yogurt dressing
• 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
PREP 15 min
ROAST 25 min
SUMMER 2021 | weeknight dinners | 43
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 rimmed baking pans with cooking spray. In
medium bowl, stir mustard and basil; add chicken and turn to coat. Place chicken
on 1 prepared pan; roast 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165°.
Transfer to cutting board; loosely cover with foil and let stand 5 minutes.
2. In large bowl, toss kale, 1 tbsp oil, and 1/8 tsp each salt and pepper; spread on
remaining prepared pan and roast 15 minutes or until edges are crispy.
3. In same large bowl, toss bread, and remaining 1 tbsp oil and 1/8 tsp each salt
and pepper; transfer to same pan and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown
4. Slice chicken. In large bowl, toss romaine and dressing. Evenly divide into 4
bowls; top with cheese, chicken, kale, and croutons.
NOTE Serve over cooked quinoa or farro and top with chickpeas to create a
• 1 (8- to 10-ounce) frozen pizza dough ball, thawed
• Yellow cornmeal for sprinkling
• All-purpose flour for dusting
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1½ tbsp olive oil
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• 3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, torn into small pieces
• ½ cup packed arugula leaves
• Italian salad dressing, optional
PREP 10 min
GRILL 12 min
1. Prepare outdoor grill for indirect grilling over medium heat (about 400°).
Sprinkle bottom of rimmed baking pan with cornmeal. Lightly dust work
surface with flour; place dough on prepared surface. With rolling pin, roll
dough to 12-inch round; carefully transfer onto pan over cornmeal. With fork,
poke dough several times to vent; slide dough onto center of hot grill rack.
Cover and cook 8 minutes or until bottom of crust is browned, rotating once
halfway through cooking; transfer crust back to baking pan.
2. In small bowl, stir garlic and oil. Leaving 1 inch border, with back of spoon,
evenly spread garlic mixture over crust; evenly sprinkle with cheese and
prosciutto. Slide pizza onto hot grill rack. Cover and cook 4 minutes or just
until edges of pizza are golden brown and cheese melts, moving crust if
necessary to prevent crust from burning. Transfer pizza to cutting board.
3. Evenly sprinkle pizza with arugula and drizzle with dressing, if using.
Create a Fiesta at Home!
Look for these in the Deli!
MEXICAN STREET CORN BRATS
• 2 ears sweet corn, husk and silk
• ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
• ¼ cup grated Cotija or Parmesan
• 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tbsp sour cream
• 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
• 1 tbsp mayonnaise
• 2 tsp cayenne pepper hot sauce plus
additional for garnish (optional)
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp chili powder
• 4 uncooked bratwurst sausages
• 4 hot dog buns
SUMMER 2021 | weeknight dinners | 45
PREP 15 min
GRILL 27 min
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over high heat. Place corn on hot grill rack; cover and
cook 12 minutes or until charred, turning ¼ turn every 3 minutes. Transfer corn to cutting
board to cool; reduce grill heat to medium-low. Once corn is cool, cut corn kernels from cobs.
2. In large bowl, stir red onion, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, lime juice, mayonnaise, hot sauce,
garlic powder, and chili powder; fold in corn. Makes about 11/3 cups.
3. Place brats on hot grill rack; cover and cook 15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches
160°, turning frequently. About 3 minutes before brats are done, place buns, cut side down,
on hot grill rack; cover and cook 3 minutes or until grill marks appear.
4. Serve brats in buns topped with corn mixture and hot sauce, if desired.
Eat to a better you with
Feed Your Pets
Like Family with BLUE
Healthy and delicious Blue Buffalo foods and treats are made
with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins, minerals
and other nutrients to help dogs and cats thrive.
NO Chicken (or Poultry) By-Product Meals • NO Corn, Wheat or Soy • NO Artificial Flavors or Preservatives
Summer Jas Bas Ad 2018 MECH_Layout 1 1/31/18 2:40 PM Page 1
© 2018 Riviana Foods, Inc.
Wonderful Taste and Enticing Aroma
make this the rice for a Perfect Summer Salad.
Authentic and natural Mahatma ® Thai Jasmine Rice and
Mahatma Basmati Rice complement your meal with
gourmet flavor and exotic scent.
CHEERS TO THE
Bring premium quality, sustainable seafood to your table
with Aqua Star’s MicroSteam ® Roasted Garlic Salmon and
For delicious chicken recipes to get
you ready for summer, check out
SandersonFarms.com/recipes or scan for
the full Lemon Honey Chicken recipe.
LEMON HONEY CHICKEN
- 6 thighs and 6 drumsticks from the
Sanderson Farms ® Drumsticks & Thighs Combo Pack
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 / 2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 / 3 cup honey
- 1 / 3 cup lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 to 5 sprigs rosemary
52 | kids club | SUMMER 2021
Dessert “Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup”
• 1½ cups hulled and quartered
• ½ cup chopped seedless watermelon
• ½ cup low fat vanilla yogurt, divided
• ½ cup chopped mango
• 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
• 8 (½-inch-thick) slices Bakery angel
food cake (round bundt)
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
• 4 sprigs fresh mint
1. In blender, purée strawberries, watermelon, ¼ cup yogurt, and ¼ cup water; cover and
refrigerate. Makes about 2 cups.
2. In blender, purée mango, orange juice, and remaining ¼ cup yogurt. Makes about ½ cup.
3. Spread mango mixture over 4 slices of cake; top with remaining 4 slices of cake.
4. In 2 batches, in large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium-high heat; add 2
“sandwiches” and cook 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
5. Serve “grilled cheese” with “tomato soup” garnished with mint.
They look like your favorite character and taste just like chicken. Our
100% plant-based Disney Mickey Mouse Shaped Chik’n Nuggets are
so tender, so juicy and so satisfyingly crunchy, they’ll bring magic to
For fresh, 200%-guaranteed beef, cut by experts,
Kansas City Knows: Price Chopper
Find the recipe for this Jerk Sirloin Steak with Pineapple Pepper Salad on page 17.